Thursday, February 28, 2008

Make Your Own Wrinkle Releaser from Liquid Fabric Softener

Make Your Own Wrinkle Releaser from Liquid Fabric Softener

wrinkled_shirt_scaled.jpgNeed an on-the-go, no-time-to-iron solution for wrinkled clothes, but loathe paying a premium for spray bottles of liquid wrinkle releaser? The TipNut blog has a recipe for a homebrew version. Pour one teaspooon of liquid fabric softener and one cup of water (distilled, preferably) into a spray bottle with a nozzle that can produce a fine mist, shake it up, and, just as with the commercial stuff, apply it to a small patch first to make sure it won't stain or discolor. The bonus is that you can halve the mixture if you want to save room while traveling, which is when this magic elixir really comes in handy. Hit the link below for more iron-less tips for smoothing out clothes.

#

Funny, the only pair of jeans I had available for me to wear to work today were wrinkled as all hell. I honestly thought to myself "I bet Lifehacker has posted something that could fix this." Lo and behold, you people read my mind. Good to know that Lifehacker is run by mindhackers.
Flag
#
No commenter image uploaded by Darcy at 07:18 AM

My girlfriend's allergic to pretty much everything, so I had to give up that wrinkle releaser stuff. (This wouldn't work either).

I did find, though, that a spray bottle with just water in it works almost as well. Lay flat, give it a spray, stretch out the wrinkles and then give it a shake. Cheap as free.
Flag
#
No commenter image uploaded by eleven30 at 07:41 AM

And just in time for spring break!
Flag
#
No commenter image uploaded by misteral at 08:08 AM

I've been missing this stuff since it disappeared off the shelves (at least here in Canada, unless I'm blind).

Depending on how wrinkly things are, I find hanging it beside the shower will typically work wonders, especially when traveling. @Darcy: this should solve the GF problem, assuming of course one of you has a shower before you get dressed
Flag
#
No commenter image uploaded by bowl443 at 08:13 AM

Wet rag with wrinkled clothes in dryer always works for me...
Flag
#
No commenter image uploaded by davearonson at 08:17 AM

For travel, to/from/within the USA, you'd have to do more than halve it, assuming a single container. Half a cup is still four ounces, and the limit per container is 3, so you're just giving the TSA confiscators some free wrinkle releaser. Make a batch and put into one or more smaller containers, make a smaller batch, whatever....
Flag
#
Image of suburbancowboy by suburbancowboy at 08:34 AM

I hang my clothes in the bathroom while I take a shower. In warmer months, I rarely need to iron. If there is excess wrinkles, I usually take just water in a spray bottle and spray myself while I am wearing the shirt. Then I stretch the fabric a little, and most wrinkles disappear.
What does the wrinkle remover do technically that water can't. I've never used it before, so I honestly don't know.
Flag
#
No commenter image uploaded by bodah at 10:05 AM

A spray bottle with water does the exact same thing, no need for fragrance.
Flag
#
Image of genghis_schmengis by genghis_schmengis at 10:23 AM

@suburbancowboy:

This is exactly what I do. Then handy thing is your clothes are there to just put on when you get out of the shower, plus are wrinkle free, and no addition time or effort was needed to knock out the wrinkles.
Flag
#
No commenter image uploaded by da5id_nz at 11:16 AM

The shower thing has never really worked for me. Maybe I don't steam up the room enough? Here down under, I've never even heard of wrinkle release. I'm not sure I'd like to be wearing a chemical next to my skin all day.

The water-in-a-spray-bottle sounds good, but the thing is when I'm looking for a shirt to wear, I need it NOW and haven't got time to be wetting things and waiting until they dry.

If I'm wearing a wrinkled t-shirt and someone points it out, I'll just say that it's supposed to be like that; it's one of the new 'aged and wrinkled' look shirts that all the kids are wearing nowadays (and no, there is no such thing) ;)

No comments: